Skip to main content
U.S. flag

This is an original und secure website

Drums

  •   State: 
    Pennsylvania
      County: 
    Luzerne County
      City: 
    Drums
      County FIPS: 
    42079
      Coordinates: 
    41°01′05″N 75°59′42″W
  •   Latitude: 
    41,0281
      Longitude: 
    -75,9955
      Dman name cbsa: 
    Scranton--Wilkes-Barre, PA
      Timezone: 
    Eastern Standard Time (EST) UTC-5:00; Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) UTC-4:00
      ZIP codes: 
    18222
      GMAP: 

    Drums, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States

  •   Population: 
    2,504

Drums is an unincorporated community in Butler Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. Located about 1,500 feet (460 m) altitude in the Sugarloaf Valley, it is situated east of Interstate 81 and north of Nescopeck Creek, a tributary of the Susquehanna River. The village was originally named "Drum's" after the Drum family, whose members developed the village's first school, post office, hotels, churches, roads, and businesses. Family members held positions as pioneers, land developers, justices of the peace, postmasters, school presidents, educators, tailors, shoe makers, hotel proprietors, lawyers, and Pennsylvania state legislators. The original Drums Post Office building still remains also, but is now a business center still located directly across the road from the Drums Hotel. During the 1960s the post office operation was moved next to the hotel into a newer brick building. The Drum Post Office operated there up until the early 21st century when it closed due to the 2008 national economic collapse. In addition to the St. Johns Church and cemetery founded in 1799, George Drum was also a founding member of the church. Other family members are buried at Drums Community Cemetery and Conyngham Union Cemetery and are all buried at St. John's Cemetery, Drums. The Drum family legend says that George survived and went on to develop the town of Drums when he reached maturity in the late 18th century.

History

The village was originally named "Drum's" after the Drum family, whose members developed the village's first school, post office, hotels, churches, roads, and businesses. Family members held positions as pioneers, land developers, justices of the peace, postmasters, school presidents, educators, tailors, shoe makers, Luzerne County sheriff, hotel proprietors, lawyers, and Pennsylvania state legislators. George Drum was the first settler within the village of Conyngham, which is where his estate still stands in impeccable condition after 2 centuries of Drum family ownership. George was also a founding member of St. Johns Church and cemetery founded in 1799. George, his wife, and many other family members are all buried at Drums Community Cemetery and ConynGHam Union Cemetery. The original Drums Hotel building still remains in Drums, but is now a privately owned residence in superb condition. During the 1960s the post office operation was moved next to the hotel into a newer brick building. The Drums Post Office operated there up until the early 21st century when it closed after nearly two centuries of service due to the 2008 national economic collapse. According to the 1790 United States Federal Census, George Drum lived in "Allen Township" (now West Bethlehem) before moving his family to the Nescopeck Valley (now Sugarloaf Valley) to initiate a hotel business eventually establishing Drums town and establishing the Drums post office. A 1758 map of "Beth Bethlehem" clearly shows that "Allen township" was the area of what is now West Bethlehem.

City services

Drums is served by the Butler Township Police Department, which employs Chief David Pavelko. Fire, rescue and emergency medical services are provided by volunteers from Valley Regional Fire and Rescue. The city's zoning and code enforcement department issues building permits. Drums is located on the Ohio River, which flows through Butler Township. The Ohio River runs through the center of the city, which was formed by the merger of Butler Township Fire Company and Conyngham Fire Company in 2005.

Schools

Drums Elementary/Middle School is served by the Hazleton Area School District. Drums Elementary Middle School is located in the CanDo Industrial Park. The Drums Academy of Sciences is a magnet program that focuses on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. In the near future, Drums will also be home to the Hazlet Area Academy of the Arts and Humanities (HAAH) The HAAH will be located within the Can do Industrial Park, next to the HAAS, in the former Web.com building. The school is at 85 S. Old Turnpike Road and is in the Drums Township, Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1809 by Drum family members and is now known as the Dr drums school. It is located on the grounds of the old Union Church in Drums, Pennsylvania, and was originally built with logs. The original wooden Drums school was closed and a larger brick structure was built. In 1941, the original wooden school was shut down and replaced by a new brick structure. The new brick school was built in the same location. The current Drums elementary/middle school was opened in the fall of 2012. It has a capacity of about 1,500 students. It will be open for the 2013-2014 school year. The HAAS will also open in the 2013/14 school year, and will be based in the old Web. com building. It focuses on technology, science, and engineering. The Academy will also have a focus on the arts and humanities.

Churches

Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church was founded with the building committee team consisting of Rev. Colborn, Stephen Drum (son of Abraham), Cyrus & Andrew Straw, an A. P. Goedecke. One of the founders, Jacob Drumheller (in the Drum family tree), built the first building in what became Hazleton, Pennsylvania in 1809. The subscribers to this document were George Drum, John Balliet Sr, Philip Woodring, Jacob Speth, George Wenner, S. Earles, Jacob Balliet Jr, Peter Scheide, Michael Beishline, Jacob drumheller, A. Maurer, P. Ruth, J. Fuse, and Michael Bitterle. As of 2013, places of worship includes the Drums United Methodist Church, Good Shepherd Church, Christ Reformed Episcopal Church, St. Paul's United Methodist church and Seventh Day Adventist Church. St. Johns has become the family's primary cemetery for the past 215 years. Present day descendants are also buried at St. John's Cemetery, including Edward T. Drum (Corporal Sergeant j in WW II, d. 1995 & father of Gary E. Drum, Richard, & Nancy). Edward is the 3rd great grandson of George Drum Sr.. St.John's Church was organized on December 26, 1799. By April 18, 1809, Rev. Frederick Van de Sloat wrote a constitution and by-laws for the government of the congregation. By 1880, a new group of officers took control: president Nathan S. Drum.

  • Drums's population in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania of 4,110 residents in 1930 has dropped 0,61-fold to 2,504 residents after 120 years, according to the official 2020 census.

Show cameras in area

Cameras in

throbber

Please wait while loading content

Please wait

Booking Offer

Booking.com

Other cities around Jacksonville

Title Distance in miles Show on Map

Skyline of Luzerne County

In 51 U.S. states are published

2413 Companies
944 Counties
1757 Cities

The 5 newest Companies

Club Car Of Sun City (Formerly Ray's Golf Carts)

1651 Sun City Center Plaza, Sun City Center, FL 33573

J.W. Turf

14N937 US-20, Hampshire, IL 60140

Golf World 29 West

6 N Milton Rd, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Northwest Yamaha Golf Cars

1106 Center St, Tacoma, WA 98409

Golf USA

1850 McCulloch Blvd N APT C2, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

Other Companies

Snake River Sporting Club

14885 Sporting Club Road, Jackson, WY 83001

Silverback's North Valley Golf Course

101 Valleybrook Rd, Lakefield, MN 56150

Chisel Creek Golf Club

13 Chisel Creek Dr, Landenberg, PA 19350

Golf Masters

18631 Northline Dr, Cornelius, NC 28031

The Legends Golf Club

2555 Hurricane Rd, Franklin, IN 46131

Landscape of Pennsylvania