Skip to main content
U.S. flag

This is an original und secure website

Port Bolivar

  •   State: 
    Texas
      County: 
    Galveston County
      City: 
    Port Bolivar
      County FIPS: 
    48167
      Coordinates: 
    29°22′51″N 94°45′52″W
  •   Latitude: 
    29,5128
      Longitude: 
    -94,4881
      Dman name cbsa: 
    Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX
      Timezone: 
    Eastern Standard Time (EST) UTC-5:00; Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) UTC-4:00
      ZIP codes: 
    77650
      GMAP: 

    Port Bolivar, Galveston County, Texas, United States

  •   Population: 
    3,849
      Unemployment rate: 
    8.50%

Port Bolivar (BOL-i-vr) is an unincorporated community in Galveston County, Texas. It is located on the northern shore of the western tip of the Bolvar Peninsula. The entire peninsula was severely damaged during Hurricane Ike on September 13, 2008. Re-building efforts were still continuing as late as 2013. The US Census does not consider Port Boliver as a separate community, so any population numbers are estimates from unofficial sources. The community is home to the historic Bolivr Lighthouse, which once guided ships enteringGalveston Bay. The United States Postal Service operates a Post Office at 2500 Broadway Avenue, Port BolvAR, TX 77650 -3636. Our Lady of the Sea Catholic Chapel and By The Sea Chapel in Crystal Beach, Texas, is a part of the Holy Family Parish, which has other sites on the peninsula. At the end of its life in 2008, its congregation numbered 75, although the church closed after Hurricane Ike in 2008. It was previously known as Port Nova Lomax, but has since been renamed. The church was established in 1819, and was the site of many marriages and funerals for generations of Bolivarians, although it closed in 2008 after its life was numbered 75. In 1838, Samuel D Parr surveyed the land, and it was granted to him by the Republic of Texas to be called Parrsville. It changed hands as Archibald Wynns and William Lawrence bought the land and developed it. Until the Second World War, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway served the length of the peninsula, extending as far west as Port Bolavar.

History

Fort Travis is on the southern shore of the Bolivar Peninsula. Originally the site of the Confederate Fort Green, with a different Fort Travis located on Galveston Island, this Fort Travis started construction in 1898. The new fort had its own railroad spur. In 1942, the rail service was cut back to High Island, 28 miles (45 km) east. The rails on the Bolvar Peninsula were scrapped for the war effort. After Hurricane Ike, the United States Postal Service temporarily relocated post office box services to Winnie, Texas, 18 miles (29 km) north of High Island. After the Second World War, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway served the length of the peninsula, extending as far west as Port Bolavar. In the 1950s, the U.S. Postal Service relocated post offices to Winnies, Texas. The post office is now located in Winnies and has been there since the 1970s. It is located in the town of Winnies. The town is located on the Texas Gulf Coast, near the mouth of the Brazos River. It was once known as Parrsville, and was the home of James Long. In 1819, James Long based his operations in the area where Port BolIVar would eventually be located. The land was granted to him by the Republic of Texas to be called parrsville. It changed hands as Archibald Wynns and William Lawrence bought the land and developed it. In 1893, the land was later bought by a company and renamed to Port Boliver.

Transportation

The Galveston-Port Bolivar ferry can accommodate vehicles as heavy as 80,000 pounds. The ferry was closed because of Hurricane Ike but re-opened on November 11, 2008. It can be as long as 65 feet, as high as 13.5 feet and as wide as 8. 5 feet. It is operated by the Texas Department of Transportation and can be reached by phone at (979) 756-5200. It was closed due to Hurricane Ike, but reopened after the storm in 2008.

Education

Port Bolivar residents are zoned to Galveston Independent School District schools. Residents attend Crenshaw Elementary and Middle School for grades Pre-K3 through 8 on the peninsula. As of 2020 there are no particular attendance boundaries in GISD so parents may apply to any school they wish, but only Bolvar Peninsula residents may have school bus service to Crenshaw K-8. The Cren Shaw school was located in Port Bolivars until it was damaged by Hurricane Ike. A resident of Crystal Beach, 10 miles (16 km) east of Port Bolvars, donated land there for a new Crenhaw campus, which opened in 2005. Residents attending Ball High School in Galvest on the Peninsula. GalvestON College is assigned to the peninsula and the peninsula is zoned towards it. The peninsula is home to the Texas A&M University-Bolivar campus. The campus is located in the town of Galvesten. The town is also home to a high school, the University of Texas-Galveston, which was founded in 1883. It is the oldest college in the United States and has a campus in the state. The city is also the site of the Texas Medical Center, which is the nation's second-oldest medical center. It was established in 1881. The hospital was the first hospital in Texas, and is located on the coast. It opened in 1882. It has been the hospital's home for more than 100 years.

Parks and recreation

The Galveston County Department of Parks & Cultural Services, that includes Senior Services, operates the Bolivar Community Center, 1802 Madison Avenue. The Fort Travis Seashore Park at 900 State Highway 87, and the Pilsner Boat Ramp, are also in the county's parks system.

Postal service

The U.S. Postal Service operates the Post Office at 2500 Broadway Avenue, Port Bolivar, TX 77650 - 0736. There is no home delivery on the Bolvar peninsula, only rural delivery. The Post Office is open seven days a week from 7am to 7pm. The post office is open from 7:30am to 8:30pm.

Religion

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston maintains the nearby Our Lady By The Sea Chapel and Catholic Center in Crystal Beach. Our Mother of Mercy Church established circa 1950, was previously in Port Bolivar. At the end of its life, its congregation numbered 75, although in summer months vacationers also attended church there. Archbishop Joseph Fiorenza had it razed, despite the lack of damage from the hurricane. The archdiocese argued that keeping the structure would cause further expenses, and that future weather issues could damage the building. The Our Lady church, dedicated in 2010 and on the site of the former St Therese of Lisieux, "effectively consolidates [Our Mother of mercy] and [Our Lady by the Sea]", John Nova Lomax of the Houston Press wrote. Residents opposed to the demolition of Our Mother Of Mercy expressed a negative reception to the opening of Our Lady by The Sea. The church was razed because it was "old and in the way" of a new church being built on the same site. The new church is dedicated to Our Lady of the Sea, who was named after the Lady of Lourdes, the patron of the sick and elderly, who died in a car accident in 2010. The service area is the entire peninsula. This site is a part of the Holy Family Parish, which has other sites onGalveston Island. It was previously known as the Church of the Nativity of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

  • Port Bolivar's population in Galveston County, Texas of 1,850 residents in 1900 has increased 2,08-fold to 3,849 residents after 120 years, according to the official 2020 census.

Show cameras in area

Cameras in

throbber

Please wait while loading content

Please wait

Booking Offer

Booking.com

Other cities around Cochiti Lake

Title Distance in miles Show on Map

Skyline of Galveston County

In 51 U.S. states are published

2413 Companies
944 Counties
1757 Cities

The 5 newest Companies

Club Car Of Sun City (Formerly Ray's Golf Carts)

1651 Sun City Center Plaza, Sun City Center, FL 33573

J.W. Turf

14N937 US-20, Hampshire, IL 60140

Golf World 29 West

6 N Milton Rd, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Northwest Yamaha Golf Cars

1106 Center St, Tacoma, WA 98409

Golf USA

1850 McCulloch Blvd N APT C2, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

Other Companies

River Oaks Golf Course and Event Center

11099 US-61, Cottage Grove, MN 55016

St. Albans Golf Club

3833 Northridge Rd, Alexandria, OH 43001

Subconcious Golf Inc

9495 E San Salvador Dr, Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Center fore Golf Performance

6444 Monroe St, Sylvania, OH 43560

Great Greens of America

10800 N Canoa Hills Trail, Austin, TX 78717

Landscape of Texas