Skip to main content
U.S. flag

This is an original und secure website

Amherst County

  •   State: 
    Virginia
      County: 
    Amherst County
      Zips: 
    24533
    24595
    24574
    24521
    24572
      Coordinates: 
    37.60479175972283, -79.14514313671626
      Area total: 
    478.94 sq. mi., 1240.45 sq. km, 306522.88 acres
      Area land: 
    473.96 sq. mi., 1227.55 sq. km, 303335.68 acres
      Area water: 
    4.98 sq. mi., 12.90 sq. km, 3187.20 acres
      Established: 
    1761
      Capital seat: 

    Amherst
    Address: PO Box 390
    County Courthouse
    Amherst, VA
    Governing Body: Board of Supervisors with 5 board size
    Governing Authority: Dillon's Rule

  • Amherst County, Virginia, United States

  •   Population: 
    31,307; Population change: -3.23% (2010 - 2020)
      Population density: 
    66 persons per square mile
      Household income: 
    $46,607
      Households: 
    12,820
      Unemployment rate: 
    5.60% per 14,695 county labor force
  •   Sales taxes: 
    5.00%
      Income taxes: 
    5.75%
      GDP: 
    $784.10 M, gross domestic product (GDP)
  • Amherst County's population of Virginia of 19,020 residents in 1930 has increased 1,65-fold to 31,307 residents after 90 years, according to the official 2020 census. U.S. Bureau of the Census beginning in 1900. Data for 1870-1890 are on a de facto or unspecified basis; data for 1900 and later years are resident totals.

    Approximately 52.12% female residents and 47.88% male residents live in as of 2020, 60.15% in Amherst County, Virginia are married and the remaining 39.85% are single population.

    As of 2020, 60.15% in Amherst County, Virginia are married and the remaining 39.85% are single population.

  •   Housing units: 
    14,232 residential units of which 89.56% share occupied residential units.

    25.6 minutes is the average time that residents in Amherst County require for a one-way commute to work. A long commute can have different effects on health. A Gallup poll in the US found that in terms of mental health, long haul commuters are up to 12 percent more likely to experience worry, and ten percent less likely to feel well rested. The Gallup poll also found that of people who commute 61­–90 minutes each day, a whopping one third complained of neck and back pain, compared to less than a quarter of people who only spend ten minutes getting to work.

    79.71% of the working population which commute to work alone in their car, 11.94% of the working population which commutes to work in a carpool, 0.71% of the population that commutes using mass transit, including bus, light rail, subway, and ferry. 2.56% of the population that has their home as their principal place of work.

  • Of the total residential buildings in Amherst County, Virginia 72.46% are owner-occupied homes, another 19.48% are rented apartments, and the remaining 8.07% are vacant.

  • The 33.65% of the population in Amherst County, Virginia who identify themselves as belonging to a religion are distributed among the following most diverse religions.

    Since the 1860s, the two main parties have been the Republican Party (here in 2022 = 57.620%) and the Democratic Party (here in 2022 = 41.460%) of those eligible to vote in Amherst County, Virginia.

Skyline of Amherst County

In 51 U.S. states are published

2413 Companies
944 Counties
1757 Cities

The 5 newest Companies

Club Car Of Sun City (Formerly Ray's Golf Carts)

1651 Sun City Center Plaza, Sun City Center, FL 33573

J.W. Turf

14N937 US-20, Hampshire, IL 60140

Golf World 29 West

6 N Milton Rd, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Northwest Yamaha Golf Cars

1106 Center St, Tacoma, WA 98409

Golf USA

1850 McCulloch Blvd N APT C2, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

Other Companies

Deepdale Golf Club

300 Long Island Expy, Manhasset, NY 11030

Old Fort Golf Course

1028 Golf Ln, Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Affinity Golf Management

304 Hickman Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22911

Salem Hills Golf & Country Club

12688 S Salem-Warren Rd, Salem, OH 44460

Tin Cup's Caddy Shack

9020 Stewart Rd, Galveston, TX 77554

Landscape of Virginia